Greetings from Dr. Thorburn:
This Saturday, April 22 marks the 47th anniversary of Earth Day, and on this day over a billion people in nearly 200 countries are expected to take action to protect our shared environment.
But why wait for just one day? Why not celebrate and care for our precious environment all year long? The changes you make today have a greater likelihood to become a part of your lifestyle if you consciously repeat them over time.
I know that for me, every day is Earth Day. At the office, we recycle and reuse everything we can. We are conservative with water usage and turn on lights and air conditioning in rooms as needed. I happily drive a Prius that gets amazing mileage with very little carbon footprint.
Here are a few suggestions for how you can celebrate Earth Day every day in your lifestyle and home.
- Use your cloth bags. We all have a collection of cloth bags gathering dust in the trunk of our car. If you shop in Burbank or the Los Angeles area, you will pay ten cents for a heavy plastic, reusable bag if you don’t bring your own. Don’t buy it. Place your paid-for items back in the cart and bag them as you put them in your trunk. Or buy a paper bag if you must. They are great for holding recycling.
- Start composting. If you live where you have a yard or garden, you can compost. More than a billion pounds of food are thrown away each year. Help make a difference by turning your food waste into soil.
- Buy local produce. Eat fresher and healthier by buying local produce. Look for the closest Farmer’s Market to where you live and become a regular shopper.
- Recycle your e-waste. Every year, thousands of old electronic devices — we’re talking big old TV’s, computer printers, etc. — are tossed into landfills, polluting the environment when they can be recycled. Go online and find out where you can take your old electronics for recycling.
- Use less water. The city of Los Angeles recently announced that we are reaching our water conservation goals. This is no time to get lazy! Turn the water off when you brush your teeth. Take shorter showers. Run the clothes and dishwasher with full loads only. In this drought-prone region, it’s only a matter of time before this precious commodity is at a premium once again.
Happy Earth Day!
Until next time…
Yours in health,
Thorburn Chiropractic and Wellness Center
A Winner of the Top Doc L.A. Award
Increasing Health & Vitality for Over 30 Years
1612 W. Burbank Blvd., Burbank, CA 91506
Be sure to follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/thorburnchiropractic twitter @ThorburnChiro and also find us on Instagram at ThorburnChiro and check out our monthly contests and promotions!